Sunday 15 November 2009

Vegetarian Graduation


Spent Friday night and Saturday in Edinburgh to attend number two child's HND Graduation in Hospitality Management from Telford College. It was a great day and a very proud day for the whole family. It was a day that at one time I thought would never happen. Alan moved to Edinburgh some years ago now to attend University and decided not to complete his first year, having obtained employment in the Hospitality Industry. End of academia, or so the worried parents thought! Then two years ago, with no parental pressure what so ever, Alan announced that he was returning to study, the outcome of which was yesterdays graduation and two proud parents. Alan is continuing his studies and has already started his degree course, so another graduation ceremony to come.

The Graduation itself was very well done by Edinburgh's Telford College and took place in the McEwan Hall, Bristo Square. The Guest of Honour at these occasions, from past experience, can sometimes be a bit dull and irrelevant, but the speaker on this occasion was Iain Macleod McMillan CBE who is the Director of the Confederation of British Industry and his address was excellent.

So where does the "Vegetarian" part of the header come in you may ask? Well I am a committed carnivore and have been known to send back steaks that are overcooked i.e. not bloody. So after the event which ended at lunch time, proud dad says "where would you like to have lunch son, my treat?"

Alan is a vegetarian and said "I would like to go to David Bann Restaurant, on St Mary's Street", which unbeknown to me is a Vegetarian Restaurant. Having scanned the menu for dead animals and finding none I chose a Thai starter thing and a vegetable curry. Despite my scepticism an excellent meal that I very much enjoyed!

1 comment:

  1. Aw thanks Dad (although I'm sure I mentioned that it was a vegetarian restaurant...) x

    ReplyDelete