Monday 2 November 2009

Between a rock and a hard place.

Conducting funerals is a regular occurrence, if you happen to be a priest that is! However every now and again you get asked to take a funeral that tests you more than most. This Wednesday I will take the funeral of a good friend who sadly took his own life. Both of us have moved about a bit over the last few years and we have almost lost touch a time or two, but basically we have known each other for almost 30 years. The last reunion was in Tesco's of all places. I find that I minister there quite frequently, different sort of aisle but just as effective.

Inevitably relatives and others ask you what you think about suicide - where is the deceased soul? When this is someone you know and know relatively well it really does make you ask, well what do I really think? My friend was a good husband, a talented man, a good musician, a good friend. He had been unwell and receiving care from Mental Health Services, although I use the word 'care' advisedly and his recent behaviour had gotten him into conflict with the law.

What I believe is that he is with our Lord and that his suffering is ended for ever I just hope that I can find the words to convey that on Wednesday. Your prayers and thoughts are welcome.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for all your thoughts and prayers. All went well with the funeral it was a beautiful sunny day here in Moray and that helped a lot.

    ReplyDelete